We found out we are having a girl! For whatever reason, we really felt like it was going to be a boy. We have had two ultrasounds and no penis in site, so it's a girl!
We have gone back and forth about staying at post to deliver vs. going back to the states, but most recently we have decided on delivering here in Kingston. It is less convenient for me to have to leave post at 34 weeks, mill around while wasting my eight weeks of paid maternity leave just waiting for the baby to come. I can't come back to post until the baby gets a passport and medical clearance, which at the shortest takes up to six weeks after delivery. Kevin can only take five weeks total, and that would be using all of the sick and personal time he has for the entire year. This is something we would like to be together for, not apart. So, staying here seems like the better option. I can work up until the time I have the baby, and use all of my maternity leave for once the baby is here.
Which brings me to another topic. We met a new family that moved here a few days ago, and when I told the woman I was delivering here she said, "Oh, you're the one." I guess we have given something for people to talk about. "GASP...can you believe they are going to stay here to have their baby!" If I was having open heart surgery, I might choose differently, but I think they can handle delivering a baby in Kingston. I did my own tour of the private hospital here. No, it is not JUST like the states, but I think it is an adequate place to give birth. I am sure this is something women have been doing all over the world for some time now. They have a fairly low infant mortality rate in Jamaica, but the way some people react you would think that we have decided to deliver our baby in Angola.
I'm working on creating a registry and every breast pump and bottle are all starting to look the same. Can one really be that different from another? Not to mention, breast pumps are the weirdest looking things. One that I was looking at reminded me of a plastic bull-horn. I'm trying to complete the registry early so everything can be shipped to my mom's house in the states in time for the layette shipment pick-up, which then takes up to 3 - 4 weeks to get here. Not that I am complaining, that is peanuts compared to those at much farther posts.
I start work at AISK in two weeks. I found out last week that I will be teaching third grade. I'm actually glad to be starting work, as time off is nice, but sitting at home gets old. Once a week I do enjoy the company of Hyacinth, a woman who comes to cook and clean. Yes, I am at home and can do both of these things, but my cooking has nothing on hers! She is an amazing cook and a really nice person. She will be the woman who will also become the nanny once I have the baby and go back to work. Raising three boys of her own, I'm glad to have her around.
Over the holiday weekend, we went on a group tour to the Appleton Rum Estate. It took about three hours on the bus. The tour itself was nice, minus the fact that I couldn't partake in sampling the rum, but I did give it a sniff. We were served breakfast and lunch, and learned that when it rains people forget how to make lines and chaos ensues. The rest of the day was like a field day with events like football, cricket, and sack races. We also went to the Denbigh Agricultural Show in May Pen on Sunday. It is the largest agri-industrial show in Jamaica. The jerk pork and festivals we got there are by far the best I've had since we've been here. We didn't get a chance to see the livestock, maybe next year.
As for travels, we spent a week in Antigua, Guatemala and absolutely loved it. I have heard mixed things about Guatemala City, but I would love to see more of the country. Saturday we head to Coral Gables for a week, two weeks for Kevin because he has a training there.

No comments:
Post a Comment