Sunday, November 30, 2008

Giving Thanks in the CR

Thanksgiving 2008 went a little like this….Kevin went to work, I went to work. After my morning class, I hit up the Auto Mercado for some last minute helpings, came home and made mashed potatoes and pumpkin pie (damn you graham cracker crumbly crust!) The guard at our apartment helped me carry in all of the stuff, which made for a special “giving thanks” shout out to chivalrous men. Much better than the machismo moments experienced while walking anywhere by myself.

Kevin came home and stuffed the turkey and put ‘er in the oven. I left for my night class and on this o’ glorious day of giving, picked up some women and children standing on the side of the road and gave them a ride to Coco. One of the ladies, once learning in my broken Spanish that I taught English, wanted private lessons. Who knew picking up hitch hikers was a way to network for private students. If I only started earlier!

Dinner was on at 7:30 with some sparkling grape juice and a bottle of champagne. So, for anyone who thinks you don’t have enough time to make a Thanksgiving meal, ye’ of little faith, it can be done, even in a foreign country on a work day!

Changing subjects, Kevin will be finished with his project on December 22. He has been working everyday since November and is looking forward to a well deserved vacation. I made him an advent chain for all the days left of work. Think back to elementary school, and you will know what I am talking about.

My plans of playing volleyball today have been crushed by a rain storm. The only one we have had in weeks, figures! Of course, I only had one person respond that wanted to play, but it’s a start. So, I have instead spent my Sunday writing this blog and downloading music.

I am off to Atlanta on Wednesday for the American Association of South American Schools job fair. Looking forward to seeing Janice and April too!

No comments: