Being Born in Buffalo, I always get very cynical about my professional sports teams when they make the finals/championship game. It always seems that my teams are destined to lose. After the Bills four straight Super Bowel losses in the 1990s, my Orlando Magic got swept in their only Finals appearance in 1995. It always seems that I am being set up to brutally fall . Being born in Buffalo and raised in Orlando, I find a lot of similarities between the two cities in terms of both sports and national respect. At first glance, you might think that Buffalo, NY and Orlando, FL are about as different as you can get. If you check out my comparison below, maybe you might understand what I mean...
Buffalo
No championships since 1965
"Too cold"
Annoying comment often heard when people find out you're a native..."You must like the snow!"
Small media market
Rust Belt wasteland
Famous for Chicken wings and Niagara Falls (which actually isn't in Buffalo)
Blizzards!
Urban Decay
Misconception by National Media: Buffalo is full of Canadians & Hicks
Overshadowed by: Toronto/NY City
Government Built a subway residents don't need
Industry Boom & bust and no funds for infrastructure
Orlando
No championships period (I refuse to count the Arena Football League)
"Too Hot"
Annoying comment often heard when people find out you're a native..."You must go to Disney all the time!"
Small media market
Mickey Mouse town
Famous for Boy Bands and Disney World (which actually isn't in Orlando)
Hurricanes!
Urban Sprawl
Misconception by National Media: Orlando is full of Old People & Hicks
Overshadowed by: Miami/Tampa
Government won't build a subway (light-rail) that residents need
Housing Boom & bust and no funds for education
Sunday, June 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment