Friday, June 19, 2009

USAID Update: Our Chances for July Training Slim to None

I am writing this blog entry knowing full well that past history has shown whenever I complain about something in our blog it gets resolved soon thereafter. Hopefully, this still holds true.

I spoke with HR today on the phone to see what was the deal with my transcripts and to get any information regarding my security clearance. I found out that they do - indeed - have my transcripts (they were supposed to email me), but they don't have any information regarding my security clearance. I tried to get more information out of them - any information out of them - but I was told that they couldn't give me any specifics on what basically amounts to...USAID. Awesome. I love twisting in the wind. Further, she said that she couldn't tell me the composition of July's class and she wouldn't know the composition of September's either. More vexing, I also found out that today was technically the last day to inform candidates for this class (not June 26th as I anticipated), so I'd say our chances for making it for training in July are pretty slim - especially since I haven't received my security clearances (temporary, or otherwise) yet.

At least, I have a contact in USAID who went through the same exact recruitment process last year. She was in my Peace Corps training class, G-9, and currently works for USAID-Bosnia in the position of Private Enterprise Officer (same backstop as me). She has been a huge help, mostly in the psychological sense. Many of her qualifications mirror my own and so it has been a great boost to hear about her successes within the labyrinth (and subduing the minotaur). From what I know, she basically found out that she was a "pre-employment" candidate in May 2008 (I found out on April 29th, practically May). After getting word in August 2008, she was called up to the September 2008 class in DC. This scenario is probably more realistic for us. As an aside, my friend shipped off to Bosnia in April 2009 - almost 7 months after she started training.

All-in-All, September 2009 wouldn't be so bad. July 2009 would be better, but what can you do? Everything is moving along nicely, Houston has been great, and we have a couple of trips lined up in July anyway: Seattle and Florida. To conclude on a positive note, the person in HR intimated, " that although there are no guarantees on placement to a training class (yeah, yeah...the liability thing), pretty much everyone who gets their clearances makes a class at some point." With USAID planning to double its total Foreign Service Officers by 2012 and the new administration's dedication to the agency, it really is only a matter of time.


No comments: