USAID update:
Brooke and I both have our medical clearances and I am waiting for, at least, a temporary security clearance at this point. I spoke to HR last week and I was told that I should hear something this week. It is already Thursday- two days before Independence Day- so, I'm not holding my breath. Maybe next week?
Once I get the security clearance, then I would feasibly be ready for a training class. Next class, I believe, starts on September 21st. This means that the last day when I would find out if I was invited for this class would be, more or less, August 21st. USAID likes to give candidates at least 30 days notice. My guess would be - if the clearances go through - that I would find out in very early August sometime. Yet, nothing is guaranteed, as I have been told on many an occasion by the information black-hole which is USAID HR.

July Vacation:Brooke finished summer school today and so she is free to roam until August 10th. In turn, we will be taking advantage of this time to visit relatives, friends, and attend misc. events. To this point, we have a trip to Seattle scheduled next Wednesday to attend a Wedding. Brooke and I are pretty excited about this as I have never been to the Pacific Northwest and she just raves about Seattle. My sister, Erin, is helping to watch our dog for the week we are gone - which is a HUGE FAVOR. Thanks Erin...we owe you big-time!
So, once we get back, we're also making a driving trip to Florida - with maybe a stopoff in Georgia to see Brooke's friend Janis. Besides seeing family and friends, our renters have decided not to renew the lease, so we will be inspecting the house and giving it the once over so new tenants can move in immediately after August 1st. I have just been thinking that it is very fortuitous that we have time off to do this. I am strangely looking forward to getting back on my riding lawnmower...does this make me weird?
Anyway, we don't know all the scheduling details of the "Florida trip" yet. We would like to drag it out as long as we can because we never know the next time we will see everybody - especially with this overseas job looming. Our 100% Texan-dog is coming to Florida...and God, I hope he doesn't pee on anybody's carpet. Our sincerest apologies, ahead of time.
Independence Day:
No, not the movie...the 4th of July- although I'm sure the movie will be playing heavily this weekend as well. Anyway, Brooke and I are excited that my good friend Rob Hernandez - from Peace Corps - and his girlfriend Bonnie (also Peace Corps) will be visiting us in Houston. We already made a stop to see them in Austin, so it is our turn to play host. Like last time, I'm sure Rob and I will be drunk dialing all our other Peace Corps bros throughout the weekend.
Rob figures prominently in many of my most enduring memories as a volunteer in Paraguay. Realistically, Rob lived far from my site - in the wasteland known alternately as the "Chaco" or the "Green Hell" - so, naturally, not to many of these memories are work related. We were in the same Small Business Development training class for the first 3 months, but after that we mostly saw each other on holidays or random weekends when the majority of the Volunteers escaped their sites in unison and congregated in the capital of Asuncion to cut loose (and get paid). Some of these memories include Rob and I wrestling furiously on a cobblestone street in the middle of the town of Guarumbare, at midnight, while a taxi driver patiently waited 10 minutes for us to get into the cab. Or, Rob being held hostage at a Asuncion bar by bouncers because he lost his exit ticket- and me telling him to jump over the rail and so I could box out the burly bouncers with a basketball rebounding technique "inadvertently" (somehow it actually worked). Or, our many dance offs in the Club "Asuncion Rocks" until Rob would inevitably get kicked out for moshing (and looking too much like a Paraguayan). Ha, ha, youthful indiscretion..
Anyway, it should be fun. Ron and Bonnie also have a dog - a big weimaraner - so I'm sure we'll hit some of the parks in Houston despite the 100 degree weather. Cold beer, anyone?

No comments:
Post a Comment