Friday, August 21, 2009

Holding Pattern...

Well, I mentioned that we would let everyone know when we found out the time frame for our pack-out, but after almost two weeks of waiting, we regret to inform you that we are still in a frustrating holding pattern.

After waiting almost a week, last Friday, I finally got the contact information for the travel coordinator that we are supposed to contact to schedule the pack-out only. I had an entire week to get this information ready, so I quickly sent an email - the same day - to the coordinator, but I have yet to receive even an email that confirms that this person has even seen my message in the first place. Naturally, I followed up by sending another email to HR Tuesday. Again, this garnered no response. On the second email, I specifically inquired if HR had received my original email. I don't know about you, but I always thought it was common courtesy to, at the very least, send an email back saying it was received - even one measly sentence. It takes 2 minutes, or less. I sent an additional message today and I got a out-of-office reply. Nice.

The funny thing was on Wednesday, I contacted another HR person - who is VERY responsive, by the way - to ask whether this travel coordinator was out of the office, or something. He told me that he would, "poke his head in." Later, he sent me an email that said, "I would be very surprised if you didn't hear," from this other guy, "by the end of the day."

And...SURPRISE! It has been two days and nothing. Carumba.

So, it is very frustrating to know that you are moving across the country in two weeks, but you have no idea when, or how. In a perfect world, Brooke and I would leave on Saturday, September 5th. with the dog and important items that I'll need for that first week. We'll see. I guess this waiting game is something we are going to have to get used to, as it will be our life for the next 18 plus years. I'm sure we'll figure out the system eventually.

In brighter news, we have confirmed that Brooke is going to fly up to Alexandria permanently on September 17th. We have already scheduled the flight with the travel agent. The plan was for her to drive up with me on the 5th, flight back down to Houston for two weeks, ensuring no gaps between our paychecks. Brooke will be staying with Erin and Gray and borrowing their Honda Civic to commute - back and forth - to school. Brooke also has been getting call backs from employers in the DC area, including an interview with the DC Public School System.

She works quickly. Me, not so much.

No comments: