Sunday, December 20, 2009

Blizzard!

This weekend we got hit with a "Northeaster" which shut down the DC metro area Saturday and Sunday. In our area of Alexandria, it was reported that we received 19 inches of snow. This is the most snow that the area has received in the month of December since 1932. I read that in the last few year, the DC metro area has had trouble reaching that total in an entire winter. I received word that all Federal agencies are shut down on Monday and Brooke found out that she doesn't have to work at all this week. She actually starts winter break on the 24th, so she really won't have to be back to school until January.

Being Floridians, naturally we don't have any of the winter tools, like snow shovels and brushes. Luckily this snow was very powdery and light although its about two feet deep. I was able to dig our car out fairly easily with just a bucket. Our apartment complex really hasn't been very proactive about cvlearing the parking lot and the entire area is covered in ice. I was kind of worried about Brooke driving to work tomorrow morning so I cleared as much of the ice and snow as possible and turned the car around so it was facing frontwards. I'm sure its pretty slippery, so I'm glad she doesn't have to drive out to Springfield for work at all this week. I take public transportation, so if I have to work Tuesday...I shouldn't have any issues.

Rosco loves the snow. In some areas the snow is almost as tall as him, but he likes to bound around in the high drifts. He kind of looks like a reindeer or a gazelle as hops around the mounds of powder. The sidewalks aren't all cleared so if your not driving it can be difficult to get around unless you want to risk walking in the streets. Brooke and I walked to Friday's down the road and I started to realize how inconvenient snow can be especially if you live in an apartment complex and you don't have things like snow blowers. I couldn't imagine living in a place like Buffalo or Syracuse which routinely get 150-300 inches of snow a year. Even with about 26 inches of snow already in the DC metro, by all accounts, we will be hard pressed to double that total for the rest of the winter. I'm Ok with that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A bucket! HA!!