Tuesday, December 15, 2009

I am a bad reader...

...in Spanish.
Well, not too bad. Apparently, just not good enough to pass the State Department's Foreign Service Institute (FSI) exam.

I got a 2+, but I needed a 3 which means that I just missed the cut. I did, however, pass the speaking portion with a 3. I still will have to take the entire test again(even the speaking) at some point before we are able to go overseas to Jamaica. I didn't even study and I haven't read or spoken Spanish for about 12 months, so I did pretty well despite it all.

Overall, this means that I will have to take some language training at FSI in the next month or two. I'm not too upset to be staying in DC for a little longer as Brooke now has a full time job which ends in June and I wouldn't mind taking free language classes and, additionally, doing a extended rotation in the Latin American-Caribbean Bureau. Langauage training at FSI is a full time job, so I wouldn't be doing anything else while I was there. My roommate, Dennis, is starting Russian there in January, but I requested to put off my training until February.

No comments: