Friday, December 18, 2009

Kennedy Center

Friday, we attended a performance by the National Symphony Orchestra of Handel's Messiah. Neither of us had ever been to the Kennedy Center and we wanted to make our first performance special, so two months ago I purchased tickets for what I thought was the most interesting event.

The prices were surprisingly good and I was able to obtain front row tickets for only 50 bucks each. Now, a true aficionado would probably tell me that the front row seats are not the best seats, but they wouldn't know what they were talking about...it was incredible!!! From where we were sitting, I could have touched the stage with an outstretched leg and/or snatched one of the violinist's instruments right out of his hand...well, if I wanted to be arrested.

As you may know, in Handel's Messiah, there are four singers and we were siting directly in front of the male tenor and baritone. We were mesmerized by their facial expressions and Brooke swears that she was inadvertently spit on by the tenor. Not only that, but the conductor was overtly expressive and I couldn't help but stare at his manic gyrations and powerful facial expressions. It was a great night topped off by the standing ovation where we were face to face with the orchestra and the singers as they took their bow. And when we left the Kennedy Center it had started to snow. Very cool!

No comments: