Things are good. Brooke is back in Houston, but Rosco and I holding down the fort. We got our stuff in today. I'm pretty much done putting everything away although I left some of the non-functional items in boxes for now. We have use of our bed for the first time in well over a year. Although the futon served its purpose well, this is definitely an upgrade. Overall, the apartment is huge. We have two giant closets in our bedroom. I am going to be using the smaller one as an office if that brings this size point home. The other one someone could put a couple beds in and we could sublet it out (except for the fact that it doesn't have an electrical outlet. I am actually typing this post from my computer desk nestled in the smaller closet right now.
The trip up went without a hitch. We took I-10 to Baton Rouge, I-12 to I-59 North through Mississippi and Alabama to Chattanooga, TN. Then, we switched to I-75 to I-81 which took us through the Shenandoah Valley, finally heading East via I-66. We couldn't do the whole trip in one day, so stayed in Northern Tennessee the first night after driving 15 hours. The car was so packed full of our stuff (and Rosco's) that I couldn't really fit into the passenger seat, so I drove the whole first day. I didn't mind really. Seriously, we couldn't fit any more in our car if we tried. It was riding very, very low. Poor Rosco was wedged between pots n' pans, pillows, and a computer monitor. Yet, I'm glad we brought as much as we did, as it made the transition to the new apartment really smooth.
The temperature is nice right now although the mornings have been overcast and drizzly. The apartment complex has a nice pool which our patio overlooks. Unfortunately, we never got to use the pool as they just winterized it today. Brooke and I were going to go the first day we got here - it was a beautiful sunny day- but she forgot her bathing suit. And when we went to Target to find one - we realized that swim suits are seasonal in Virginia. So, now, the pool is covered by a tarp. Our new roommate - who is from Chicago - said that apartment complexes usually close their pools after labor day. Mark this experience down as "Things Floridians take for granted."
Alexandria is a very cool place. We made a good choice. Old (Alexandria) town is a short bus ride/drive away. It is incredibly historic...it kind of blew me away. I forgot Robert E. Lee was from Alexandria. George Washington spent a good deal of time there as well. We just picked our apartment because it was the cheapest of the Archstones. There is a lot to do right around us and we are only a 12 minute drive to DC (35-45 minutes by bus/metro). After reading about the history of Alexandria, we are just as equally looking forward to exploring it - as we are of DC.
As for the job, I am finally getting excited since most of the move is out of the way. Dennis and I made a trial run yesterday to DC and it was a breeze. We left at the exact time we would be leaving if we were actually going to work. So, we have to take two buses, but the first one picks us up 200 feet from our apartment door at a reasonable 6:50am. On the return trip -the bus actually drops us off a mere 100 feet from our door. It doesn't get much better than that. Interestingly enough, we take the first bus to the pentagon...which was a little weird. Then again, it is every little boys dream to see the pentagon - and I'll get to see it everyday. Well...at least he outside, anyway.
Wednesday, September 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment