
Houston is a fun city with a lot to do, but, after Costa Rica, we mainly chose to move here because of the proximity of family. My sister's family lives here and although she has lived here for about 15 years, I have only been here a handful of times. It is good to take advantage of these opportunities to spend time with family members when you have the chance. My older sister Erin and I get to talk about childhood memories that probably only her and I remember. My brother-in-law Gray has helped us out a lot getting settled and is always pleasant to be around. And then there is my niece/birthday twin/god-daughter Hayden. I mean, who knows where we will be in the coming years...and with our penchant for international living, chances are that it won't be in Houston.

More to the point, whether this deal with USAID works out, or not, I'm really glad we are able to spend some quality time with my niece, Hayden. She is 4 now and has developed quite the personality. She is at the age where she can finally carry on a fairly complex conversations which makes it fun. We aren't talking about nueroscience and quantum physics here, but...yeah, sadly right about my level. As her Uncle. I am trying to leave my special imprint by teaching her to say goofy things like, "Man, my dogs are barking!", or "I'm as tough as nails!" At least, if Brooke and I end up in some sun-baked, wind-swept, Sub-Saharan city like Nairobi or Addis Ababa for 4 + years, we may have a fighting chance that Hayden remembers her funny Uncle with the mischievous invisible robot and the same birthday.
No comments:
Post a Comment