I echo the sentiments of my friend Jonathan Frankel that it is hard to both live life and keep up with a blog..well, in my case, even if you are unemployed. Therefore, using this as our meek defense, we have only been able to manage a measly blog post every couple months. No, you're exactly right. That is pretty ridiculous. I avow to improve these numbers.Most recently, I had a interview for my dream job with USAID. For, those of you who don't know, USAID is a government agency, under the Department of State which implements development overseas in about 100 countries around the world.
Why does the US government develop other countries when we indeed have pressing needs domestically? Well, history shows that countries which are stagnated economically tend to be unstable politically. Think Somalia. Countries which are unstable environmentally may degrade ecosystems which are vital on a global level. Think Brazil and the rain forests (although they're doing better). Countries which do not have sustainable health programs may become the next centers of global pandemics. Think, well, a lot of places. Naturally, it is in our best interest, as a country, to assist these nations, if not merely for their sake, than the sake of our national security and the security of the world. Yikes.
So, back to the story. I had an interview in DC for a Foreign service position with USAID within the Private Enterprise Sector under the backstop of Economic Growth. This is a diplomatic position where after about 6 months of training, I would be assigned overseas for a 2 year training post. Yes, Brooke is invited, of course. After the initial training, the assignments are extended to 4 years. Think Peace Corps, except with running water (most of the time) and a decent salary. While overseas, you receive allowances for housing, continuing education, travel, moving expenses (including one car), schooling for children, etc. Thinking way ahead, as I am wont to do, Foreign Service Officers can retire with full pension in 20 years; however, because I was a Peace Corps Volunteer, I would already have 27 months toward retirement. So, not only is the job exciting, the benefits are otherworldly. Many retired USAID FSOs go on to have very lucrative careers in the private sector as development contractors.
Also, to my advantage, the new administration has authorized USAID to double their existing staff after about 20 years of neglect where the agency was unable to even keep up with rates of attrition. Obviously, this bodes well for me. Anyway, the interview, initially, was a mixed bag. I felt I did fine on 2 out of the 3 exercises (group exercise, and written), but I was convinced that I did poorly on the one on three interview. So, I left DC, resigned to my fate. Apparently, I did much better than initially thought. Last week, I received an email from USAID which stated that I had indeed been selected for pre-employment. This is all very exciting.
Right now, I am feverishly working on my medical clearances and other bureaucratic items. This position also requires Top-secret clearance, so I am waiting for them to conduct interviews with everyone I have ever met in my life, including probably you, good reader. I am trying to be patient, but certainly it is hard. All I can do is try to get all my medical testing results to the State Department, post haste, and then wait for an email. There is a training class every other month, with the next one slated for May 26th. I surely wont make that one, but July or September beckons. Indeed, it is hard to think long-term when life is so uncertain. But, hey I went through the bureaucracy for Peace Corps, I'll be alright. Yours truly a United States Diplomat? Exciting times, indeed.

2 comments:
Dimplomat? Seriously? Ha!
Just kidding...very exciting stuff! I don't know how you guys do it but I envy you for it. Shoot, it took 12 years of wanting to move to Chicago to get my ass here! And, I am also still unemployed!
Take care and post more often with updates!
First of all, I wish you the best of luck with this. As you know, I can easily sympathize with the bureaucratic red tape but if that is your biggest concern then congratulations are, I think, in order.
Secondly, if you echo my sentiments, does that mean you can cite me as a source and - dare I say? - therefore put me in your footnotes? Ah, graduate school I do not miss you. You and yours, on the other hand, are a different story entirely...
Be good!
Post a Comment